In 2014 GROW Educare Centres launched; born from a deep desire among a group of social entrepreneurs to address the lack of quality early childhood development (ECD) education in marginalised communities in South Africa. As a collaborative partnership between The Clothing Bank and Grow Learning Company, GROW Educare Centres is founded on the belief that providing quality ECD education to the majority of South African children has the potential to change the future of South Africa for good.
We believe that ECD centres in disadvantaged communities should be able to provide children with the quality learning they need to set them up for success while also providing high-quality jobs for educators. That’s why we are changing the status quo in the ECD sector by offering quality and professionalism that disadvantaged communities have never seen before. Each educare centre we partner with is fully equipped to ensure that every aspect of the business is managed professionally.
Uniquely, right from the start, we held in a grand vision of creating a model and brand that could scale that would leave women owners of ECD centres capable and confident to run sustainable businesses and become true community champions for education.
To achieve deep transformation and empowerment, we have designed a social-franchise model, which is a simple, replicable business model for ECD.
- This model provides the school owner with everything she needs to operate a successful school, including resources (curriculum and equipment), intensive training, business mentoring and coaching.
- It is a holistic model that develops the school owner to manage an excellent education facility, which is also a viable business.
In 2014 we opened our first centres in Langa, Cape Town and by 2017 we launched in Durban. Thanks to the generous support of local and international funders and partners, we have been able to continually test, refine and improve our model to ensure it delivers a holistic solution and is, crucially, scalable.
In 2019 we opened our first four centres in Johannesburg, and we’ll keep growing and learning and serving until quality early learning education becomes a reality for all the children of South Africa.
To be the largest chain of 5*Star ECDs in South Africa serving disadvantaged communities.
We achieve our vision by…
- Scaling our model nationally using social franchising to become South Africa’s best loved ECD brand.
- Changing the status quo in the ECD sector by offering quality and professionalism that has never been seen before in disadvantaged communities.
- Investing in ECD practitioners by providing them with a complete recipe for success that ensures children receive a high-quality early learning programme which ensures a foundation for future learning and inspires children to reach their full potential.
- Equipping committed women who own these ECD centres (franchisees) with the knowledge, skills and tools to run a professional business that is sustainable.
- Engaging parents and communities on the importance and value of quality ECD.
The values we live by
BBBEE and tax benefits
We can offer companies significant points on their scorecard thanks to our focus on growing small, black-women-owned business and empowering the unemployed through skills development.
GW Foundation NPC
NPO number 161-786NPO
PBO number 930048936